What Is an Ionm and Why Should You Care?
Although the medical fads are constantly changing and evolving, infusing the new technology and research there are tons of new equipment and techniques introduced in the field to treat patients, but there is always one universal point and number one focus throughout the healthcare industry and that is, the standard of care & patient safety. We are no less aware that surgical facilities invest millions to bang for their bucks by taking every possible precaution to keep their patients safe and assist in fast recovery. Among the whole body parts and organs, the brain is the most delicate and fragile, thus the surgeries encompassing it are considered as most high risk, and to ensure everything is on track, the IONM system is used to get the surgical outcomes for each patient.
What is IONM?
Intraoperative neuromonitoring (IONM) is used for continuous surveillance of a patient’s nervous system, precisely, to constantly monitor the functional integrity of the brain, spinal cord, and nerves during the surgery. With the sole purpose of protecting the nervous system, the IONM or IOM system ensures the neural structure and assists in avoiding any risk of internal injury or iatrogenic damage. They function as guides by providing the functional status of the nervous system to the surgeon and anesthesiologist to reduce the chance of deficit or paralysis.
A myriad of tests can be used to measure the system of function, however, it entirely depends on the followed procedure. But, generally the IONM or IOM system functions by delivering electrical impulses to the nervous system and measuring their effects. A number of electrodes are attached to different places such as wrists, ankles, scalps, and sometimes even in specific muscle groups to muster information.
Top advantages of IONM
- They detect changes in the functional status of nerve tissue
- They improve patients safety
- Reduces the risks of injury to vital structures
- Curtail risk of permanent nerve damage
- Prevent long term impairment
- Ensures arteries and vital nerve ending aren’t distressing
- Help avoid the threat of paralysis
- Are conducted by certified motorists or professionals
Which surgery or procedure calls for IONM services
Depending upon the type of surgery, risk, and surgeon’s preference the utilization of the IONM system is very individual. However, here is the list of treatment which often involves the use of the service:
- Craniotomy for tumour removal
- Spinal Cord Neoplasms
- Microvascular Decompression Intra/Extramedullary Spinal cord tumours
- Peripheral nerve injury
- Brachial Plexus nerve injury
- Selective Dorsal Rhizotomies
- Posterior Fossa Decompression for Arnold Chiari Malformations
- Acoustic Neuroma/ Vestibular Schwannoma
- Spinal Laminectomies and Fusion
- Spinal Discectomies
- Acetabular Fractures and revision
- Stenosis Spondylosis Los thesis
- Hip lengthening replacements
Hence, relying on the best IONM system/IOM system can ensure they are provided with a correct track report while enabling the surgeon to avoid any risk during the surgery, also in case of any dysfunction they indicate and provides opportunities to correct them and deter deficit. So, to buy your reliable IONM system and IONM endotracheal tube visit us https://neuro-style.com/ For more inquiry and help call us (65) 6563-2678